Photo credit: Wirtschaftsagentur/Bohmann
Last week Wednesday Wirtschaftsagentur Wien and Wirtschaftskammer Wien presented their studies called “Start–up Location Vienna 2014”. Discussing the outcome were Gerhard Hirczi (Wirtschaftsagentur Wien), Martin Puaschitz (Junge Wirtschaft Wien), Florian Grossman (Cisco Entrepreneurs in Residence) and Christoph Jeschke (AustrianStartups):
· We’re talking rising numbers; from 5,2% of companies founded in Vienna eligable to be called startup in 2010, to 7,6 % in in 2013.
· Out of 8.403 founded companies this Spring, 638 were startups. Since 2010 over 2000 new startups saw the light of day.
· More than three quarters of the startups founded in Vienna operate in the Technology, IT and Media area. A fifth in the Creative Businesses and around one percent in Life Sciences.
· One third of the startups employs people right at the start. Their numbers grow by 40% in the two years that follow.
· Startups account for the ‘professionalization’ of the entrepreneurial scene.
· Around three quarters of startup founders use private money to fund their startup (and thus do ‘bootstrapping’).
· Some demographics: 70% of the people working in the startup scene is male and between 30 and 40 years old. Sixty percent of all startup founders have University degree or a degree in Applied Sciences.